The Very Best of European Cinema

Discussion in 'DVD + Video Collector's Area' started by TheRoadWarrior, Nov 22, 2014.

1. TheRoadWarrior

TheRoadWarrior Well-Known Member

A thread to post up classics of the European cinema, whether this be boxsets, dvd/blu-ray, reviews, and oddities that may have simply slipped under the tripwire.

[​IMG]

And to begin, what better than a little bit of Jean Luc Godard.

Alphaville.

A SF film, and here's some more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphaville_(film)

2. Harold Monroe

Harold Monroe noted NYU anthropologist

one that i always love watching is the original version of the vanishing. the ending blew my mind when i first saw it. wonderful film

if you havent seen it, dont read about it, just watch it. it will have more impact if youre not sure whats happening

3. Sgt Sunshine

Sgt Sunshine is almost famous

A great idea Road Warrior.......
    My first two recommendations are also French films, both masterpieces in their way but as different as chalk & cheese.....

Tonight I'll be re-watching "Jeux interdits" (Forbidden Games) 1952. Directed by Rene Clement.....
    [​IMG]

IMDB info here.....
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043686/?ref_=nm_knf_t1

Also recommended is Jean-Jacques Beineix's sultry tour de force "Betty Blue" (1986)......

[​IMG]

IMDB info here.....
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090563/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Cheers
    Sgt S

4. Sgt Sunshine

Recently watched "Sanatorium pod klepsydra" (The Hourglass Sanatorium) 1973.

[​IMG]

There is a brief clip here......One of those films that probably benefits from more than one viewing....

5. Someone Weird

Someone Weird An Odious Little Runt

Cannibal Ferox

Umberto Lenzi's bad taste classic in "jungle savages" cinema complete with titty piercing, dick chopping, gratiutious animal slaughter and other "bad, bad scenes". I love it. The Grindhouse disc remains one of my favourites.

[​IMG]

6. Sgt Sunshine

One film I would highly recommend is "Der Himmel über Berlin" (Wings of Desire) 1987 Directed by Wim Wenders.

[​IMG]

Enjoy the trailer which is excellent......Although you will need to click on the you-tube link to view it...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  7. Sgt Sunshine

Amelie (2001) must also be in there somewhere.......:)

8. Sgt Sunshine

My first Bergman was The Virgin Spring (1960).....

[​IMG]

Small clip here........

9. jayzus

jayzus Member

Le Samourai - I knew subtitled films existed, but to be honest I use to watch the late night Euro Cinema on ITV in the late 1980s and early 1990s. The films were always dubbed and in full screen and normally featured Alain Delon.
    Mireille Darc or Miou Miou. I watched this gem and I recommend it for attention. A couple of years after this screening it got a cinema reissue and a 1:85 screening on BBC 2.

10. Sgt Sunshine

From Spain a little gem of a film "El espíritu de la colmena" (The Spirit of the Beehive) 1973......

[​IMG]

11. Sgt Sunshine

Histoire d'O (1975).....

[​IMG]

Trailer....

Well there's a few diverse films to start the ball rolling......

12. mr sinn

mr sinn Well-Known Member

One of my favourites and also an amazing movie :

The 400 Blows

image.jpg

Also, very strange movie but highly recommended :

The Tin Drum

image.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    Sgt Sunshine likes this.
  13. mrb

mrb Slave Trader

I've only got into Bergman over the last couple of years; I always avoided it, thinking it would be dull, po-faced, pretentious crap .. but man, can that dude make films or what? some of his stuff is mind blowing.

Persona is incredible, but I think my favourite to date is Shame.

Sgt Sunshine likes this.
  14. Sgt Sunshine

Yes, I have both those excellent films....

15. Sgt Sunshine

Its very difficult to pick a favourite Bergman as I like them all.....He was indeed an outstanding Director.

16. TheRoadWarrior

Bergman, I bought the Seventh Seal, and I love that fim, grim but the atmosphere, is terrific, Europe at the time of the Black Death, which for we Brits/Europeans is a bit of cultural marker, still seen as the worst thing perhaps that has happened to us, and so you have these two knights, and you don't get to see much or any of what they're been through, and it's artistic/surreal.

That's an Artificial Eye production, but after that began to hire a few, via Lovefilm, Wild Strawberries, and a couple of others, after Kurosawa, he's the director I've most wanted to collect, but the only boxset of everything he's done seems to have been a limited ed.
    So I've left it.

I'm pleased to say I know quite a few of the films above, but as ever, DrSunshine, has left me in the starting blocks so will have to look up some of those.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    Sgt Sunshine likes this.
  17. TheRoadWarrior

Described as an important film, "Weekend" by Jean Luc Godard. Hired it years ago from Blockbusters, when one was just across the road from where I lived (ideal), that was a good way of catching up on Euro cinema.

Sgt Sunshine likes this.
  18. TheRoadWarrior

Nikita 1990 Assassin Chick, and followed by Leon, I believe.

19. Sgt Sunshine

Yes....thats also a very good film....:)

20. Sgt Sunshine

One to add to my list......which just grows and grows ever longer....:eek: