The Jess Franco Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Euro Cult' started by MarcMorris, Jun 20, 2008.

1. MarcMorris

MarcMorris Head Honcho Staff Member

2. Vaughan

Vaughan Active Member

It's worth going to that site just for the wallpaper.

Sorry to be off-topic, but I recall having some Status Quo albums back in the day, and they used a similar design on their labels - Vertigo as I recall. Black Sabbath used them too.....

Anyway - as for Franco.........

The thing about Franco is, there's so much to know, you can know a lot, and still not know enough. It's only the love and devotion of a small core of his fans that keeps him alive for people like myself, because after some of his films I've paid and seen, I'd have given up. But people like Marc keep the flag flying, abd eventually I always end up giving him another go.

Venus in Furs is the best I've seen. Lust for Frankenstein the worse.

I've given up on Franco - until the next time I give him a go. Could be as early as next week. :D

3. reaper72

reaper72 NIGHT OF THE DEMON MARC?

My Franco 'to watch' pile just keeps growing......oh theres another Franco film,let's have that......

4. WillHay

WillHay Member

A Virgin Among The Living Dead is absolutely superb.

5. Someone Weird

Someone Weird An Odious Little Runt

Awful Dr. Orlof, The - Classic Franco and a great starting point.
    Sadistic Baron Von Klaus - Enjoyable murder mystery, with nice gothic atmos.
    Dr. Orloff's Monster - Not too bad. A bit dull.
    Diabolical Dr. Z - Very good.
    Succubus - Very dreamy....may take some getting used to. But worth sticking with.
    Two Undercover Angels - Goofy but entertaining.
    Kiss Me Monster - A bit more hard going, but has its moments.
    99 Women - Quite boring.
    Justine - Classic Franco.
    Eugenine, the Story of her Journey into Perversion - Classic Franco, essential.
    Venus in Furs - Classic Franco, essential.
    Bloody Judge - Excellent witchcraft/war/historical drama. More evidence Franco is a gifted filmmaker, and not a hack.
    The Demons - More sexually explicit sort-pf sequel to 'Bloody Judge'. Very good.
    Nightmares Come at Night - A struggle. Though the version I saw was ruined by the dubbing.
    Eugenie De Sade - Very good.
    Vampyros Lesbos - Essential Franco. A classic. Great score.
    She Killed in Ecstasy - Decent stuff.
    Devil Came from Akasawa - Entertaining.
    X312: Flight to Hell - Mindlessly enjoyable.
    Curse of Frankenstein - Weird, but fun.
    Dracula, Prisoner of Frankenstein - Just as weird, bit just as fun.
    Dracula's Daughter - Enjoyable.
    Maciste and the Amazons - Pretty dull.
    Female Vampire - Good. XXX Erotikill version is ruined by some badly inserted hardcore.
    A Virgin Among the Living Dead - Excellent, poetic....surreal. A must for Franco fans.
    The Perverse Countess - Pretty good.
    Devil's Island Lovers - Good, and quite downbeat.
    Night of the Assassins - Excellent.
    How to Seduce a Virgin - Won't convert any non Franco fans, but not bad.
    Celestine, An All Round Maid - Hmm, not his best effort.
    That Certain Taste - Nor is this.
    Lorna, The Exorcist - Again, probably won't convert any non Franco fans, but definitely worth a look.
    Barbed Wire Dolls - Not too great...has its moments.
    Women Behind Bars - Again, not one of his best.
    Women of Cell Block 9 - Essential Franco sleaze! Classick!
    Ilsa, The Wicked Warden - A bit of a bore.
    Doriana Grey - OK, but ruined by poor dubbing.
    Jack the Ripper - Not bad, but again, poor dubbing spoils it.
    Love Letters of a Portuguese Nun - Very good. Well worth a look.
    Exorcism - Pretty good, the XXX version is also worth a look.
    Cannibals - Amusing cheese.
    Man Hunter - More amusing cheese.
    Oasis of the Zombies - Delicious cheese.
    Bloody Moon - Classic Franco.
    Sadomania - Enjoyable. Lots of art behind the sleaze.
    Revenge in the House of Usher - A bit tiring...the ending is a hoot.
    Macumba Sexual - Not bad.
    Mansion of the Living Dead - Enjoyable.
    Faceless - Classic Franco.
    Tender Flesh - OK. There was a very hot leading female in this one if I remember rightly.

I may have missed some, but overall....yes, I'd say I appreciate the chappie.

6. Dave Jay

Dave Jay Kiss the boot, man...

Sorry, never seen a Franco film that hasn't simply bored (last attempt was the awful NIGHTMARES COME AT NIGHT)... though I would like to give FACELESS a try at some point, as I remember been enticed by photos of it in MAD MOVIES back in the '80s...

7. Ade

Ade My leg...is on fire...OH

Any advance word on Severin's Devil Hunter and Bloody Moon DVDs yet? Looking forward to these - even though Devil Hunter generally gets slated.

8. MarcMorris

What would you like to know?

9. Ade

I suppose by advance word, I actually meant reviews. I've googled them and nothing's come up in terms of DVD reviews. Have the preview copies been issued yet, Marc? I'm sure the image quality of both will be excellent and the Franco interviews will be as entertaining as ever - just interested in reading the thoughts of others.

10. MarcMorris

They haven't sent out review discs yet - they're still working on building the discs.

11. Someone Weird

Someone Weird An Odious Little Runt

It's Severin Ade, I'm sure they will be fine. As for the films: they both get a bit of flack (esp. Devil Hunter) but in the right mood and if not taken seriously, they are non-stop brainless, cheesy entertainment. Got both my pre-orders in.

12. MarcMorris

Both titles have been re-mastered in HD from the original negatives, and are the most complete versions ever seen.

13. Ade

I've seen Bloody Moon a couple of times and, yes, it is great cheezy entertainment. I'm sure I'll get at least something out of Devil Hunter. I've always enjoyed Franco in lazy, autopilot mode..the slapdash elements just add to the chaos. Mind you, thinking about it, I haven't seen many of his apparently really scrappy efforts (Cannibals for e.g).

14. Ade

:D Great news. Can't wait! And, yeah, even though I 100% trust that Severin will do a great job, it's always nice to read a few reviews just to whet your appetite.

15. MarcMorris

WE've compared all available versions on old video and DVD releases and these are by far the best both films have ever looked - and are finally uncut for the first time ever on DVD.

16. Ade

A forum member on Rue Morgue reckons Bloody Moon and Devil Hunter have been delayed until 26 August. Has this been confirmed Marc?

17. MarcMorris

Ys, it's true. The delivery of the newly created masters has taken longer than anticipated - but it will be worth the wait. I have a copy of THE DEVIL HUNTER here and it's the most complete version I've ever seen.

18. Ade

Thanks for confirming this, Marc.

All of a sudden a sense of childish, disportionate disappointment fills my soul. I'm sure I can wait another few weeks as these are the definitive versions.

Most people who've seen The Devil Hunter describe it as pretty tame. Presumably, they'll be referring to the cut VHS versions. Does Severin's disc contain more risque material than the VHS versions? Or is the previously cut footage of a more incidental nature?

19. MarcMorris

Just for you... Note that this was from a first test master so a few things may change for the final release.

DEVIL HUNTER

The UK and Dutch videos are identical, running 85m 18s at 25 fps. The onscreen title is DEVIL HUNTER. Both are fullscreen, dubbed into English (the Dutch tape has Dutch subtitles), and run the opening credits in English over the opening scene. However, the opening credits on the Dutch tape are differently positioned, and appear to be video generated. The end credits of both transfers are in Spanish.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Severin's new transfer runs 98m 2s at 25 fps. It is letterboxed at 1.85. A comparison with the fullscreen editions reveals thatSeverin's transfer has more image at the left and right of the frame, but less at the top and bottom. This version is in French (the actors appear to be speaking French, so this is ideal), but with Spanish opening and closing credits. Onscreen title: EL CANNIBAL. The opening credits play over some shots of the jungle (1m 50s) which do not appear in any other version. The sequence which appears under the credits in the Dutch/UK videos here appears immediately after the opening credits. This version would appear to be definitive. It includes the following scenes that are missing from both the UK and the Dutch transfers:

1- 61m 52s to 65m 57s. Laura is carried through the jungle by some natives, then stripped and prepared for a ceremony. The scene of Laura being carried through the jungle can be found in the French and American videos, but the scene in which she is stripped and prepared for the ceremony is unique to the Severin transfer.
    2- 66m 43s to 70m 40s. Shots of natives dancing around Laura, and men walking through the jungle. Some (though not all) of this footage can be found in the French and American videos.
    3- 71m 23s to 71m 36s. More footage of couple having sex on boat (just before the cannibal-zombie appears). This footage is unique to Severin's transfer.
    4- 71m 50s to 72m 7s. More footage of zombie entering boat. This is unique to Severin's trasnfer.
    5- 76m 56s to 77m 19s. More footage of Laura being prepared for ceremony. This is unique to Severin's transfer.
    6- 83m 33s to 83m 39s. Zombie attacks woman. This is unique to Severin's transfer.
    7- 88m 9s to 88m 31s. Zombie approaches Laura, who is tied to a tree. This is unique to Severin's transfer.
    8- 88m 43s to 88m 56s. More of Laura tied to tree and shot of naked woman on the ground. This is unique to Severin's transfer.
    9- 90m 15s to 90m 28s. Zombie holding Laura. This is unique to Severin's transfer.
    10- 92m 55s to 93m 9s. Zombie approaches man holding on to edge of cliff. This is unique to Severin's transfer.
    11- 93m 31s to 94m 9s. More of man fighting zombie. This is unique to Severin's transfer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

French video. A fullscreen French-language transfer. The opening credits are in French, and appear against a red background. Onscreen title: CHASSEURS D'HOMMES. Running time: 90m at 25 fps. This version is cut in the following places:

1- 25m 14s. Part of rape cut.
    2- 63m 28s. Although the scene of Laura being carried through the jungle by some natives (missing from the UK and Dutch videos) is included here, the following scene, showing Laura being prepared for the ceremony, is missing.
    3- 64m 36s, 65m and 65m 15s. Three cuts have been made to the scene in which Laura participates in a ceremony.
    4- 67m. As in the UK/Dutch videos, a shot of the couple having sex on a boat (just before the cannibal-zombie appears) has been shortened.
    5- 67m 15s. As in the UK/Dutch videos, footage of the zombie entering the boat has been cut.
    6- 71m 54s. A shot of a corpse has been shortened.
    7- 71m 56s. As in the UK/Dutch videos, part of the ceremony has been cut.
    8- 78m 7s. As in the UK/Dutch videos, shots of the zombie attacking a woman have been cut.
    9- 78m 23s. A shot of the woman's corpse has been cut.
    10- 82m 26s. As in the UK/Dutch videos, shots of the zombie approaching the tree to which Laura is been tied have been cut.
    11- 82m 38s. As in the UK/Dutch videos, shots of Laura tied to a tree and a shot of the woman on the ground have been cut.
    12- 83m 56s. As in the UK/Dutch videos, a shot of the zombie holding Laura has been cut.
    13- 86m 19s. As in the UK/Dutch videos, shots of the zombie approaching the man clinging to the edge of the cliff have been cut.
    14- 86m 40s. As in the UK/Dutch videos, parts of the fight have been cut.
    This version has no end credits, ending with a card reading 'fin'.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The US video is fullscreen, dubbed into English, and runs the opening credits over a blue background. Onscreen title: THE MAN HUNTER. This version runs 92m 3s at 25 fps. It is cut in the following places:

1- 13 m to 15m approx. Shots of the zombie eating the woman's pubic hair, and various shots involving nudity and cannibalism have been removed. The cuts have been disguised by using cutaways taken from elsewhere in the scene.
    2- 64m 40s. As in the French version, we see Laura being carried though the jungle (missing from the UK and Dutch videos), but not her being prepared for the ceremony.
    3- 65m 49s, 66m 13s and 66m 27s. As in the French video, three cuts have been made to the scene in which Laura participates in a ceremony.
    4- 68m 13s. As in the French/UK/Dutch videos, a shot of the couple having sex on a boat (just before the cannibal-zombie appears) has been shortened.
    5- 68m 27s. As in the French/UK/Dutch videos, footage of the zombie entering the boat has been cut.
    6- 68m 52s. A shot of viscera has been cut.
    7- 73m 12s. As in the French/UK/Dutch videos, part of the ceremony has been cut.
    8- 79m 26s. As in the French/UK/Dutch videos, shots of the zombie attacking a woman have been cut.
    9- 83m 57s. As in the French/UK/Dutch videos, shots of the zombie approaching the tree to which Laura is tied have been cut.
    10- 84m 9s. As in the French/UK/Dutch videos, shots of Laura tied to a tree and a shot of the woman on the ground have been cut.
    11- 85m 27s. As in the French/UK/Dutch videos, a shot of the zombie holding Laura has been cut.
    12- 87m 50s. As in the French/UK/Dutch videos, shots of the zombie approaching the man clinging to the edge of a cliff have been cut.
    13- 88m 11s. As in the French/UK/Dutch videos, parts of the fight have been cut.
    This version has Spanish end credits.

20. Ade

Interesting reading - many thanks for this Marc.

Am I right I thinking that the UK VHS of Bloody Moon was uncut and the Severin release will be identical albeit in widescreen? I think the sawmill sequence was cut from the US tape but it's certainly there in the UK video version.