Terminator Genisys (2015)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction + Fantasy' started by mr sinn, Dec 14, 2014.

1. mr sinn

mr sinn Well-Known Member

Watched the trailer to this, thought it looked pretty awful, bad choice of cast IMO. A lot of sequels coming out next year, this looks about the worst.

Terminator Genisys :

image.jpg

2. drterror666

drterror666 Too Much... for One Movie!

I take it the past has changed because Terminators killed Sarah Connor's parents?

3. drterror666

Must admit, this is looking like brainless fun!

4. mr sinn

mr sinn Well-Known Member

Watched second trailer, looking forward to this now,(first trailer made it look like a Sci fi channel movie),was surprised when I looked at the cast, it's got Doctor Who himself Matt Smith in a supporting role as well as Oscar winner JK Simmons. Hopefully it's going to be a lot of fun.

5. drterror666

It's definitely going to be a lot of fun and, hopefully, a large step away from the abomination that was Terminator: Salvation. Looks more like a proper Terminator film anyway.

6. Kel E

Kel E Member

The CGI Arnie looks quite good--though he looks rather elderly when jumping from the plane. "You call me a senior citizen? Fuck you asshoal."

7. Kel E

Kel E Member

The closeup of him turning around is probably the best CGI double I have seen (though the other shots are hit and miss--his run seems like video game territory)
    If they had the time-they probably could have improved it even more so it was near a perfect fake.

8. mrb

mrb Slave Trader

this looks like a hoot.

9. drterror666

I can't wait to see this. I really hope it isn't a let down.

10. the13thman

the13thman Lucky for some

I saw about 20 minutes of preview footage including the opening scenes that revisit the opening of the original. The CGI Arnie looked pretty damn good but the film itself showed clear signs of being desperately average.

PG13 what's-the-point action? Check. Nothing to see here.

Poor casting? Check. Jai Courtney is blandness personified and Emilia Clarke looks WAY too young.

Not-as-good-as-it-should-be CGI? Check. Does it look real? Does it heck! You're watching a cartoon and you know it.

Seen-it-all-before story? Check.

I REALLY wanted this to be good, or at least special. But at least when I do see it properly my expectations will be at rock bottom.

11. drterror666

Maybe they'll release an extended, gorier Blu-ray?

12. drterror666

Well, the reviews are in and it looks like Arnie and Co. are taking a bit of a kicking. One of the problems seems to be the brain scrambling time travel stuff, but that actually could be a good thing. I hate being spoon fed anyway. They reckon it's better than Terminator 3, but I actually like that film, so... Anyway, I don't care much for reviews and, hopefully, will see this next week.

13. mrb

mrb Slave Trader

I was going to go and see this until I discovered that it isn't actually a cartoon.

14. drterror666

Ah, but you're so wrong! The reviews said that the CGI makes it look like a cartoon! I think Sylvester and Tweety Pie are rumoured to make a cameo somewhere.

15. mrb

mrb Slave Trader

and finally my 'joke' eats itself.

16. drterror666

I've just come back from seeing the film and, well, the critics are talking bollocks! The film is very definitely a proper Terminator film, unlike the piece of crap called Terminator: Salvation. There is a lot of time-travel related stuff going on, but you'll get it if you like your sci-fi and have at least seen the first two Terminator films; I can't understand the critics who said the film boggles the mind, because it's not that complicated. The film is set up for a sequel, but that's expected seeing as it's the first part of a trilogy. Keep watching when the credits roll for a teaser. There is at least one question left unanswered, but that one is definitely set up to be answered in one of the sequels. I'll put it in spoiler-vision:

Start of spoiler

Who sent Arnie to 1973?

End of spoiler

I thought the film was really good for the type of film, although it could have been a tad shorter and is somewhat eclipsed by the first two Terminator films. Arnie played the T-800 as well as he always has. If the sequels are on the level of the this film, I'll be quite happy. Oh, and Emilia Clarke's Sarah Connor is nearly as badass as Linda Hamilton's!

17. Kel E

Kel E Member

I saw it today too. This is the first CGI-heavy film I have seen in a theater since Terminator 3 actually. The digital Arnie looked very good to me--better than it did on a computer screen.
    In terms of Terminator action it is the best after T2(I am not a fan of it--but the action scenes were great). I wish they could have got Robert Patrick back and did a digital double of him--would have really given the film some extra oomph. The Reece actor was disposable--Clarke was alright as Sarah though a little young looking--but would have preferred they had an actor for John Connor who didnt remind me of David Son of Sam Berkowitz!

Overall a decent watch for a third completely unnecessary sequel!

18. drterror666

Couldn't have put it better myself, although this is going to be a completely unnecessary trilogy!