Shocking Asia 1-3

Discussion in 'Other Release News - DVD + Blu-ray' started by Someone Weird, May 23, 2016.

1. Someone Weird

Someone Weird An Odious Little Runt

Please, don't all answer at once but does anyone have any info in regards the Czech dvd box release of SHOCKING ASIA 1-3. Are the films all uncut? They have English language versions included so might chance it anyway.

2. MarcMorris

MarcMorris Head Honcho Staff Member

I had no idea there was an official DVD release of these anywhere.

3. Someone Weird

A box set appearing on ebay. Described as "original and official" release in the Czech Republic. Only a tenner so might go for it...

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  4. MarcMorris

MarcMorris Head Honcho Staff Member

Let me know when it arrives - I'd be surprised if it was legit!

5. Someone Weird

Will do. It's on its way so will post back here when I've checked them out.

6. Someone Weird

This arrived today.

There was a slight hiccup however...the discs didn't work properly on my usual DVD/Blu player. Every time I started the film on all 3 discs, the same image appeared of atlas internation (?) logo against some trees and would replay on a loop for about 1m. It then flipped to the next chapter and if I tried to rewind to see what I had missed the discs would freeze. Peculiarly, Part 1 also showed a running time of 2hrs with 14 chapter stops but when I got to stop 12 (85m) the disc froze again....

However, I tried them on another DVD player (attached to a smaller tv with dodgy colour) and all 3 played fine. This time, when you start the film you get different distributors logo etc before the actual movie starts....no sign of that atlas internation stuff at the very start!? Also, the runing time is roughly 85/6m and there are 12 chapter stops on the first film. So god knows what was up with my other player trying to play these discs.

Anyway, the three films are housed in a fairly flimsy cardboard box. They are individually contained within the usual DVD amaray cases within the box. I would include a picture but for some reason its not working. Gladly, the amaray discs are old school sturdy type and not those stupid American style eco-friendly ones with bits cut out of them and/or thin as tracing paper which are completely useless and of no use to no one, resulting in many a damaged dvd/blu-ray cover (this cheap ass practice has to stop! They look crap and tacky in those things!).

If the surrounding box was a bit more sturdy then this would be an altogether more attractive package. The films are pretty much bare bones but No.2 includes a trailer. The menu screens include a scene from the movie, such as No.1 featuring a fakir skewering his chops whilst you decide whether or not to play film, select chapters or choose audio. Each film can be played in either Czech dub or with English soundtrack.

I have SHOCKING ASIA & SHOCKING ASIA 2 on DVD-R already and these new DVD look a whole lot better. No dutch subs into the bargain. Very pleasing transfers for me personally (even on a tv with slightly dodgy colour but they also looked very good on the bigger tv when attempting to flick through), but then I'm not as fussy as some people when it comes to this kind of thing. I'm sure there are people out there who will tell you different and belt out a load of nonsensical technical jargon and bit rate crap but my god, if I thought like that I would never enjoy watching a movie at all if I worried about those kind of shitty things. So yep, they looked good to me. Recommended. Shame about that weird glitch on my other player.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016