RoboCop (José Padilha, 2013)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction + Fantasy' started by MarcMorris, Jul 10, 2012.

1. MarcMorris

MarcMorris Head Honcho Staff Member

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  2. drterror666

drterror666 Too Much... for One Movie!

This is going to have to do something REALLY spectacular to be better than the original. It's going to take more than amping up the gore/action and whacking in loads of CGI.

3. Blink

Blink New Member

Like so many remakes,This is going to be aimed at the new generation and not those who saw the originals way back,not many surpass the original,the ONLY remakes/reimagining (or whatever you wish to call them) that I recall and have seen were Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Hills Have Eyes both were brilliant but the originals were crap imo but each to their own I guess.

This Robocop film will most likely be a shot for shot copy of the original but with (maybe ) less violence and packed with CGI family friendly and if that were the case then why not get out a copy of the original and watch that one.

But then maybe just maybe this might surprise us all.

4. Kel E

Kel E Member

They are only remaking this to cash in on the brand name familiarity because they dont want to risk money on untested ideas. The aim is to appeal to teen gamers and that international audience.
    So Gary Oldman and Samuel L Jackson are in it--someone from Batman and someone from the Avengers. Coincidence? Yeah I bet.
    They'll expand ED-209's role I would assume so it has the ingredients for the video game products and to make it that more appealing overseas.

"The bigger the budget, the cleaner the concept needs to be. Because you need to appeal not just to all four quadrants, but to people who speak every language under the sun. So ambiguity and darkness are tough." - Adam Fogelson, chairman of Universal Pictures.

"A person may come across differently in each market. A robot is a robot around the world." - Stacey Snider, DreamWorks Studios CEO.

5. Blink

Blink New Member

That seems to be the norm today,endless sequels which (for some ) get worse by the number and the remakes,I wonder if it had not had the 2 big names would it go straight to DVD and byepass the cinema ?

6. Kel E

Kel E Member

So far it has
    Gary Oldman, Samuel Jackson, and now Michael Keaton (as the head of a corporation).
    They released photos of the costume and Ed-209. I looked at the latter-I dont like it. Most reviews of the costume say its too generic and boring.

I heard Verhoeven had his own idea for a new movie--that Robocop was in storage and is reactivated to take on a crime spree.
    They really should have done that instead..but that would cost more money and they wouldnt be able to control Verhoeven, and they much rather recycle the thing from scratch and appeal to a youth market weaned on comic book movies (I suspect the inclusion of Keaton is nostalgia for the Batman days).
    The original Robocop was like the ultimate comic book movie not based on an actual comic. But I thought the sequels were inferior.
    Even a Robocop vs Terminator would be more appealing than a start from scratch remake.
    Another idea I heard was to have a unit of Robocops--that I also think would be better.

My feeling is that this new Robocop is as if Omni Consumer Products decided to make a TJ Laser movie.

7. mrb

mrb Slave Trader

What a load of crap. Why call it Robo Cop?

8. drterror666

The original Frank Miller comic series of this is brilliant.

9. Kel E

Kel E Member

I liked the concept of Robocop vs Terminator. It could make a neat movie seeing him fighting endoskeletons etc.

Robots are big sellers internationally so I am sure someone was anxious to have a movie with Robo in the title. Crowd pleaser Spielberg is also doing a movie with Robot in the title I hear.

Robocop also can "transform" in the new movie I have read.

10. drterror666

CGI hell there, then! :rolleyes:

11. Bezzer

Bezzer New Member

Total Recall...Robocop...they should remake Showgirls...at least that's one Verhoeven movie they can't possibly screw up.

12. mr sinn

mr sinn Well-Known Member

Just had a look at the new costume on some internet site, looks terrible. I wish they would stop remaking movies. Robocop was of it's time and was great, this will be just another big budget CGI pile of crap.

13. Kel E

Kel E Member

Dont worry about it--now that China has become the most important box office market for Hollywood you can expect a lot more robots and dumb action. :)

Link

14. drterror666

[​IMG]

I am scary RoboCop! Fear me!

15. mr sinn

mr sinn Well-Known Member

Watched trailer to this a couple of days ago, not going to be ultra violent like the original by the looks of it. It has a good cast but the whole thing looks like its going to be a 12A action movie for the family. Another Remake another waste of time.

16. drterror666

Yes, the kids won't get the message that ran through the original. Thickos!

17. drterror666

From Expendables Premiere:
    Definitely time to stick to the ultra-violent original. I mean, that was the point of Robocop, wasn't it?

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

Is this a remake or another sequel?

ROBOCOP (2014) is a remake retelling (and slightly changing) the story of police officer Alex J. Murphy, who after being horribly injured in the line of duty, is transformed into the cyborg ROBOCOP. (There many changes from ROBOCOP (1987) though, including Murphy's type of near-fatal injury, suit design, gun design and more.)

Is Lewis really a guy in this one?

Yes. A female character in ROBOCOP (1987), Lewis is now a male character for ROBOCOP (2014).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1234721/faq?ref_=tt_faq_3#.2.1.1

I wonder if they will release two versions on DVD,the PG13 and then later a more violent one?

19. drterror666

They might, but I doubt it. More and more films are being made for a younger audience in an effort to make lots of money. Oh, and there are are the toys as well.

20. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

They upped the violence for the Total Recall remake so as you say they might.