Pete Walker at the BFI Southbank

Discussion in 'British Cinema' started by MarcMorris, Feb 15, 2009.

1. MarcMorris

MarcMorris Head Honcho Staff Member

Frightmare + Pete Walker Q&A

Thu 12 Mar 18:30

Pete Walker joins us for a special screening of his bloody tale, about a psychopath let loose with a power drill and an insatiable appetite for human brains...

+

House of the Long Shadows

Thu 12 Mar 20:45

An ultra-rare chance to see Pete Walker's final film on the big screen.

Starring John Carradine, Vincent Price, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee, this is an ingenious homage to the great days of gothic cinema and a treat for all vintage horror fans.

The Flipside presents: Frightmare + Pete Walker Q&A

2. abs1nth3

abs1nth3 New Member

Why no HOUSE OF THE LONG SHADOWS on DVD yet?

3. MarcMorris

MarcMorris Head Honcho Staff Member

Because it's owned by MGM.

4. mrb

mrb Slave Trader

I saw House of the Long Shadows on general release.

I remember it being in full widescreen I think. It seemed really dated and creaky at the time, but I should imagine it's aged well due to the cast.

5. Dr Schuler

Dr Schuler New Member

why should that deny it a release or have I missed something ?

6. R-T-C

R-T-C Frankenstein's mistake...

Simply because MGM are not one to licence their product to firms like Anchor Bay and like many of the major film companies, they only release cult titles occasionally and have a large film library - so films like this are unlikely to see the light of day for a long time.

7. Dave Jay

Dave Jay Kiss the boot, man...

I notice they're also showing the original shorts that made up SCREAMTIME in their original, uncut form... does anyone know how much was cut out of these for the movie? And does this mean we can look forward to a DVD release of SCREAMTIME any time soon?

8. bladesew

bladesew Machete-wielding clown

The short about the couple who move into the house is tremendous - that final shot really made me jump.

9. JonT

JonT Member

10. Robert W

Robert W New Member

Thank you for posting this! I really enjoyed Making Mischief: The Cult Films of Pete Walker, so this was an extra treat!

11. JonT

JonT Member

Thanks, Robert. Yes, I agree - Steve Chibnall's book is a great source of information on Walker.

12. WillHay

WillHay Member

I think Walker's films are pretty good - they're flawed, for sure, but they are all atmospheric and have a style of their own. We could do with someone making stuff like this in the UK.

Screamtime - I though this was a decent little anthology, even though the linking stuff was pretty annoying. It's about time it got a release!

I saw House of Long Shadows a few years back again, and enjoyed more than the first time I saw it. It needs a good DVD release, as it's one of those films that's quite dark. Frightmare on DVD was a revelation as you could actually see what was going on! (The same could be said for that Haunted house of Death movie from another Anchor Bay box set.)

13. the undertaker

the undertaker New Member

Great that Final Cut's disc is coming next month!