Multi Format Releases

Discussion in 'DVD + Video Collector's Area' started by mr sinn, Nov 25, 2014.

1. mr sinn

mr sinn Well-Known Member

In recent years certain companies have been releasing Blu rays with DVD copies as well as digital copies, now on the face of it, it looks like you are getting more for your money but to be honest when I buy a Blu ray I just want the Blu ray, the DVD copy will never be watched, I personally give away the DVD copies of movies to a friend of mine who has similar taste in movies, sure this breaks up 'the set' but I collect movies to build up my own personnel libary, I'm not about to sell any of them so I am not bothered that some of my Blu rays are missing the DVD copies. Does anyone actually watch the DVD copy of the movie if they own the Blu ray, it's all a bit pointless really, just give me the Blu ray(not that I want to stop giving my mate DVD's)but I just don't see the need to have these 'dual' format releases. I have a copy of the first Hobbit movie and that has a Blu Ray, a 3D Blu ray , a DVD and a digital copy(all that is missing is a VHS/Betamax copy)I have only watched the Blu ray and won't be watching any of the other discs, so they will just sit in their case untouched....pointless!

2. drterror666

drterror666 Too Much... for One Movie!

I think the point of these Blu-ray / DVD combo's is that the companies don't have to sell two separate releases. I guess they figure that this makes it easier for the punter as there's only one box to pick up, although you could argue that the Blu-ray pumps up the price, potentially making the studio more money. For the record, I agree with you; I think they should stick with seperate releases. Half the time they put all the extras on the bloody Blu-ray anyway!!!

3. mrb

mrb Slave Trader

I think multi-format releases are a great idea . . *cough*.

4. mr sinn

mr sinn Well-Known Member

I have a few more on the way!!!

5. Sgt Sunshine

Sgt Sunshine is almost famous

I have a few but like you I just play the Blu-rays...

6. Someone Weird

Someone Weird An Odious Little Runt

I'm not a fan of this practice. Just bumps up the price - I'd rather have the choice of one or the other. I also prefer the DVD versions of some films (e.g. FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL, THE JEKYLL AND HYDE PORTFOLIO to name two). The blu's really picked up the background grain....I couldn't concentrate on the movies and got annoyed. The DVD's didn't have this problem and looked terrific.