Mad Max:Fury Road

Discussion in 'Science Fiction + Fantasy' started by mr sinn, Aug 3, 2014.

1. mr sinn

mr sinn Well-Known Member

Just watched the trailer for this, looks pretty good. I'm a big fan of the original trilogy especially The Road Warrior and this film looks like it will be similar to that. Not out till 2015. Here are some 'teaser' posters for the movie :

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Mallo

Mallo Member

3. TheRoadWarrior

TheRoadWarrior Well-Known Member

I'd also like this to a be a solid film, and may even take a tirp to see it at the flicks. There's often a strangely predictable result with films made a long time after the original, even when the director from the original is involved and that is.... it can still look like most other action or whatever genre it is, films that are in production. Maybe that says something about the myth of the director, in other words, it's often "everybody's film" who is involved rather than being the product of a single directorial vision.

We'll have to wait and see, it's sure taken its time on its way to release.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  4. Mallo

Mallo Member

Teaser trailer looks good :)

5. TheRoadWarrior

Oh, thanks for posting that up Mallo. :)

"Fury Road" imo... is a great title, btw.

6. mrb

mrb Slave Trader

Hmmmm .... looks ok I suppose.

7. TheRoadWarrior

The trouble in part is... that many of the new crop of actors just don't look the part. It's going to be a large smashfest, I reckon but without the charm and vibe of the originals, but I suppose it beats endless remakes, but then again, many of the trailer scenes are duplicates of scenes in the former films, they're banking on a new generation who doesn't know the older films I suspect.
    How cynical I am!

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  8. mr sinn

Watched the latest trailer, this movie looks fucking awesome. I just hoping it lives up to the expectation, been waiting a long time for a new Mad Max film. If it turn out to be successful at the box office there could be more Mad Max films which can only be a good thing IMO, love post apocalyptic movies.

9. mrb

mrb Slave Trader

Is this a cartoon?

10. drterror666

drterror666 Too Much... for One Movie!

[michael caine]No. It's not. A bloody cartoon![/michael caine]

11. mr sinn

Went to see this at my local multiplex, few films live up to expectations.....this one surpassed them!

12. Harold Monroe

Harold Monroe noted NYU anthropologist

saw the trailer, looks great. lots of blowy up things!

13. drterror666

The trouble with remakes is that the people with the money are purposefully designing films to appeal to the popcorn brigade. Sadly, for me, Mad Max: Fury Road falls into that category, and is formulaic and throwaway. Forget any characterisation or decent exposition, because this film is just one long road chase that, whilst initially appealing, gets very old about an hour into the film; the most exposition you get is what Max says in the first few minutes of the film. I really wish I could say great things about the film, but I found it vacuous and unsatisfying. Saying that, the cinematography and stunts were really well done, and there was a strong female lead in Charlize Theron, even though she didn't really get used to her full potential. Oh, and there were some plot holes you could drive an armoured truck through. Give me Mad Max II any day!

14. mr sinn

Sure this is a huge budget movie but its not like most summer blockbuster, it certainly does not fall into the category of 'mainstream' cinema, its has to much weird imagery, yes its a studio movie but it was made by people with passion to deliver the best possible new version of Mad Max including the director of the original movies. The Road Warrior (Mad Max 2) is still my favorite but I really liked this movie, the lack of story line did not bother me and lack of exposition was a good thing, I hate movies where they have scenes of dialogue just to explain the plot and spoon feed the audience (there is not much of a plot in any of the Mad Max movies), to be honest plot would of got in the way of the fun, in a world of endless super hero movies and dull remakes this was certainly a cut above the rest. I took a couple of teenage boys to see this movie (one of the perks of my job) and they had never seen anything like it and absolutely loved it. I for one want more Mad Max movies and I am glad its been a critical success.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  15. Kel E

Kel E Member

Is there anyone in it with the same fashion sense and articulate reasoning as the Warrior of the Wasteland, the Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla?

"There has been too much violence."

16. drterror666

Personally, I thought they made a mistake with the exposition. It felt at times that they were trying to cast Max in the same light as Clint Eastwood's 'Man with no Name' character, in that he appears, helps save the day and then disappears again. In the case of Mad Max: Fury Road, there was the explanation of Max's past right at the beginning of the film, which, for me, destroyed any sense of mystery or mystique. I think it would have been better if he'd come out of nowhere, just a name in the desert, just to disappear again at the end.

I will agree with you that it wasn't like your typical blockbuster feature, but I did get a bit cheesed off with the endless chase scenarios, one after the other. I also have to question what Imperator Furiosa's people had been doing since their town became uninhabitable and where they'd been living, and how you end up with a bunch of supermodels when battling that hostile climate! I know they'd been locked away, but I find it hard to believe they'd look that good.

Obviously, I'm going to be in the minority with this one, as it's been getting rave reviews everywhere. Still, horses for courses and all that.

17. TheRoadWarrior

I'm going to risk a few bucks and give this one a chance I reckon. It may not be up to what I'd like to see or expect but I'll go in open minded and see if modern cinema can deliver for once. I've read some very good reviews by critics who usually hammer everything, so that has me curious.
    It has to be said though, where are the new ideas on this scale coming from?

"Nowhere" is the resounding answer, i'd say, once again then, the past... or here.... the 1980s nitro-fuelling the 2000s for ideas!

18. mr sinn

I think there are very few original ideas left for movies, especially in genre cinema as its all been done, there are plenty of new stories to tell but in the world of horror and sci fi everything is pretty much a reinvention/variation of what's come before. Technology has changed so there are now new 'fears' which can be seen in movies like Smiley and Unfriended, but these are basically slasher movies, teenagers being stalked and killed online rather than in the woods.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  19. drterror666

Unfortunately, this is a result of the effects of postmodernism; there is nothing new to plunder. It's the same in the world of fashion, the arts, music, books, et al. All we can do is upgrade what's already been done.

Saying that, Hollywood doesn't seem to be doing a very good job of it. Their output is way too formulaic.

20. TheRoadWarrior

Yes, the genres are certainly tapped out on ideas. There are always new fears as you say, but the general arena of SF and Horror is crowded out, but for me it's how they make them. I think there's a lot that could be done, if they would abandon the teen level of movie making, pandering to some idea of what teens are like, but I was okay with adult fare at that age, wanted it, not just vampires and superheroes.