Do you re-buy the same movie over and over and over again?

Discussion in 'DVD + Video Collector's Area' started by Someone Weird, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Someone Weird

Someone Weird An Odious Little Runt

Good chap that he is, DrT has been updating some of the DVD/Blu releases going on and lo and behold, many of them have been released several times already. I know there are folk out there who never got to these films the first time round, but many would have done, after all these are cult movies that would appeal to certain people who like that kind of stuff in particular.

So I was wondering: who does re-buy the same films they already have over and over again and why? I will admit that sometimes I do buy the same movie, but only in certain instances. E.g. if the version released is different in some way to another release, i.e. an alt. cut, or there was a fault with the previous release (i.e. I will get Rarovideo's Werewolf Woman disc as it corrects the framing on the Shriek Show disc [that elimated nudity essential for the plot of course]).

However, there are perfectly decent releases for other moviers out there that then get re-released, maybe with a few different extra's, maybe not, but isn't the point of buying a movie on disc so that you have that film to watch again and again when the mood takes. Seems pretty pointless in buying a disc if the next time you are going to watch that film is another disc release....and then the next time you watch is is another release.....then another......what was the point in getting those first releases? Especially if the image quality of the first release was corking enough (do we really need to see these films in intimate detail anyway?).

Are people still excited when yet another release of The Evil Dead, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween etc is announced? The serioulsy ultimate editions were a lie after all it seems.....do you not feel duped and fed up? The leap from VHS to DVD was vast....I don't see it with Blu. In fact, some films on Blu I prefer to watch on DVD (e.g. Frankenstein And The Monster From Hell and The Jekyll And Hyde Portfolio). I don't get the fascination with having to see films in even clearer detail - and therefore having to upgrade.

The most annoying thing about all this is: there are some films getting re-released time and time again, whilst so many gems have still yet to receive their first legit DVD release.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  2. mrb

mrb Slave Trader

sometimes i'll buy a film I already have (sometimes multiple copies of) because I like the different cover .... I bought a copy of The Beyond the other day for that very reason. . . mind you, it was only £2, I'm not fucking mad.

3. Harold Monroe

Harold Monroe noted NYU anthropologist

i only re buy stuff that has a new transfer or a stack load of new extras. i only keep one copy of each film

4. mr sinn

mr sinn Well-Known Member

I have replaced quiet a few DVD's with Blu rays but rarely keep more than one copy of each film, there are exceptions, I have multiple copies of The Evil Dead, two DVD's ,one as part of the Anchor Bay Video Nasty box set the other The Book of The Dead edition and also have it on a blu ray. Both DVD versions will probably never be watched again. I like to have the best print available(I have both the Blue Underground and Arrow Blu rays of Zombie Flesh Eaters as they have different extras), I recently replaced my DVD of El Topo with the region A Blu ray, the difference in picture quality is outstanding. I have spent a lot of money on collecting movies over the years(had my entire collection stolen about 13 years ago so had to replace them)replaced my VHS collection with DVD, now replacing certain DVD's with Blu rays, but won't be upgrading if another format comes out. Still I have replaced Blu rays with newer editions of Blu rays, recently replaced my Blu of Texas Chainsaw with the 4k scan from Dark Sky movies, it was certainly worth the upgrade IMO.

5. TheRoadWarrior

TheRoadWarrior Well-Known Member

I don't tend to do this. The big jump was from vhs to dvd as you say, and I have lost quite a lot of my 'classic collection' on VHS, that is: films that were essential to own imho, some of these were doubles because of covers and I just fancied having two copies, I had DELIVERANCE and BIG WEDNESDAY if I recall, in two versions that were identical in fact
    The split up of Apocalypse Now into AN and AN-Redux was not too much of a jump but there was that extra material.
    I've also found some good value boxsets where I have one of the films already but it's worth it to scoop up the films in that arrangement at that price, boxsets are the best aspects of my dvd collection now, with a lot of Hitchcock, Film Noir, Cult and other films in that format.

I'm still not entirely sold on the idea of beginning to collect blu-ray. I don't know why, maybe it's because it's taken so much time to build up the dvds and the switch from vhs and the loss of those films was a big enough shock, and I'm thinking.. oh know you don't, not again. After all, vhs was fine for me.
    Even if the picture was bit grainy at times, some dvds have been a bit naff on picture qual so there's no such thing as perfect it seems.

6. jayzus

jayzus Member

No but I seen to have The Transporter about 5 times and im not a great fan of the series. At least one edition is packaged with Vanishing Point another one with 28 Weeks later etc

thehamish likes this.
  7. drterror666

drterror666 Too Much... for One Movie!

I'm very careful when buying films anyway and only tend to buy stuff if the transfer is good and it's mostly uncut. I did double dip on The Dark Crystal, though. Well, I needed another film to go with Tremors to get the deal at the time...

@Someone Weird - thanks for the compliment. I do try...

8. Mallo

Mallo Member

I do buy certain films over and over, though only if they are print upgrades or have extras I want. I like commentaries so have re-bought films if they have new ones (Prince of Darkness springs to mind).

I've got two copies of every Kurosawa film on DVD, because I wanted the BFI versions for the best subtitles, and the Criterion versions for the better picture quality. I think I've got three versions of Cannibal Holocaust on DVD. Three copies of The Shining on DVD, and quite a few doubles.

There are quite a few films I have multiple copies of on DVD, but very few on BluRay. Arrow's Dawn of the Dead BluRay is one title that I think is as much of a leap from DVD, as DVD was to VHS, and is a good example of why upgrading to BluRay is sometimes worth it.

I get more excited these days by seeing stuff I never thought would ever see the light of day make it out onto BluRay, than upgrades of horror classics.

9. Sgt Sunshine

Sgt Sunshine is almost famous

Not very often...
    All the old videos have long gone, destroyed by damp or mould which is a constant curse in this climate.....:(
    I re-bought a few of my special favourites on DVD or Blu-ray (Elephant Man, Tess ) but I'm not going to upgrade any of my existing DVD's to Blu-ray.
    If a film I want is available on Blu-ray at a reasonable price I'll probably buy it....but not one I already own on DVD...!

10. mrb

mrb Slave Trader

I bought The Great Dictator yesterday, and then I bought it again today .... I rock :)

Sgt Sunshine likes this.
  11. Sgt Sunshine

Sgt Sunshine is almost famous

Get them Xmas presents in early mrb....;)

12. thehamish

thehamish teuchter on the doorstep

Aye. 3 copies of Audition (vhs, last film I bought new on this format), 2 dvds. Several Evil Deads, City of the Living Deads, House By The Cemetrys. With films I do try and limit it. Vinyl is another story cough.....

13. MrWorldWide

MrWorldWide New Member

I do it all the time. I'm a fan of packaging. And while I may not have all the time I want to continually watch flicks I have time to pick up the different editions and enjoy the beautiful artistic cases etc. That I may see every day where the movie itself I may only see a few times.

14. tobiaswragg

tobiaswragg The 'Head' Butcher

I have multiple releases of Jean-Luc Godard's Made in USA, La Chinoise, Weekend, One Plus One, British Sounds, Le Vent D'Est and others, Andy Milligan's The Bloodthirsty Butchers and The Body Beneath, Pasolini's Salo, Robert Hartford-Davis' Incense for the Damned, Scavolini's Nightmare, Richard Driscoll's Kannibal and Eldorado, Al Adamson's Dracula Vs. Frankenstein, Jerry Warren's Man Beast and The Wild World of Batwoman, Wes Craven's Last House on the Left, Roger Watkins' Last House on Dead End Street and a few Francos, such as Vampyros Lesbos, She Killed in Ecstasy and The Demons.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015