Do people on here still buy DVDs over Blu Rays ?

Discussion in 'DVD + Video Collector's Area' started by Cannonball, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

I was looking through the latest buys on here and a lot of you are buying Blu Rays so was wondering

Do people still buy DVDs ? or are you junking the format for Blu and if so why ?

Apart from the PQ/Audio what is the difference between the two in content ?

I do not have a Blu Ray player,no intention of buying one either.

2. drterror666

drterror666 Too Much... for One Movie!

I have been buying all the Hammer Blu's, because they look really good. I will be getting Star Trek Into Darkness and Pacific Rim on Blu because they'll look amazing. I thought I may as well get into Blu because I have a PS3 and a HDTV. The PQ is definitely way above DVD quality, when they get it right. I say that because I've heard the Stargate: Ultimate Edition Blu is brilliant for the outdoor scenes, but awful for the indoor ones, due to laziness on the side of the studio.

I am definitely a BluRay fan.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

I can understand the step up from Video to DVD but somehow I am not convinced with Blu Ray,I understand the sound and PQ but DVD is sufficient for me.:cool:

4. drterror666

I still buy DVD's, but only for films where I don't think they're worth the jump. I have a feeling that DVD's and Blu's are going to coexist for a long time.

5. mr sinn

mr sinn Well-Known Member

I still buy DVD's but will opt for Blu Ray on certain titles especially new movies as the picture quality is better and also special editions like the Arrow releases. It is also nice to see older movies getting the HD treatment, some older films look like they were filmed recently because the picture quality and sound have been re mastered, for example, the John Wayne western The Cowboys looks stunning and so does the recently released Doctor Who:Spearhead from Space which was filmed on 16 mm film rather than video. Other films that look great are Arrows release of Spider Baby, Arrows Zombie Flesh Eaters, Jaws and John Carpenters The Thing also look stunning. I think Blu ray is better than DVD and also the Blu ray player up scales DVD so you get a better picture quality on DVD as well. Still there is a lot of stuff out on DVD that will probably never get a Blu ray release. In a collection it's good to have a mix of both Blu ray and DVD.

6. Someone Weird

Someone Weird An Odious Little Runt

I don't have a Blu-ray player but of the Blu-ray's I have seen, and comparison pics online etc, I can't really see any difference to be honest. Therefore I'm in no rush to change from DVD-Blu, in the way I changed VHS-DVD. I think the benefit would come more with more recent films anyway, whereas most of the stuff I like to watch comes from 70's etc, and in those cases I don't think Blu really matters as they look good enough on DVD (besides which, I don't want to see some of these titles cleared up too much - it takes away some of their original look/feel/charm/whatever).

I will get a Blu-ray player at some point, maybe next year, but mainly to get newer films most likely that I think would benefit from it, and I won't be upgrading any DVD's like I did with VHS as they are fine as they are. Plus I have a collection of VHS, DVD-R, DVD...so may as well add some Blu-rays to it at some point. But DVD when it came out was a revelation and very exciting....Blu is just meh. I can't get excited over these goofy bitrate comparisons some people get wound up/harp on about (I tend to shut off or stop reading at that point - which means I don't read hardly any online reviews anymore as they are so obsessed with the audio/picture rather than tell me about the sex/violence content - Bleedingskull is an exception, they write FUN reviews). Granted, I may be a nerdy film geek, but I try not to be THAT geeky.

7. TheRoadWarrior

TheRoadWarrior Well-Known Member

I've never watched a film - or Blu-ray- on ... of course... a Blu-Ray player, so limited to dvds, because that's all I own. I seem to be pretty happy with that, I suppose the quality of the screen matters, I have a Sony Bravia, the sound isn't too great on it, despite being Dolby surround... the picture is very good however. It's a funny ole world, digital, because I get the impression we've lost some of the quality, somewhere along the way, esp. on sound.

Old TV was better for that last aspect, a deep and richer sound.

8. Sgt Sunshine

Sgt Sunshine is almost famous

Although I do have a Blu-ray player most of the films I buy are DVD's......I have about 15 Blu-rays out of a total collection of about 450 films....
    A quick check on Amazon.co.uk showed a total of 7 different Blu-ray films for Ornella Muti although she has appeared in approx 100 films between 1970 & today.....
    Cheers
    Sgt S

9. drterror666

I think the difference between DVD and Blu becomes apparent if you have a very large TV or are projecting.

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

I don't have a Blu-ray player but I have approx 7,000 DVDs :eek: and Videos (not many as I did have though ) from all genres,my tastes in films are a mixture but mostly built up of female actresses I like (Jane Fonda,Michelle Pfeiffer ooooooooh so many I could mention ;) ) so I'm happy with DVD.

Not sure but are there Blu Ray recorders out there? and are the blank discs expensive? DVD is sooooo cheap on that account I can not see me changing it.

Yeah so true,A lot want that "Cinema experience" without the hassle of travel,noisy people in cinemas and the cost itself to get in and drinks and food.

11. Kel E

Kel E Member

Sometimes I see a difference other times no.
    Expendables was the first film I ran on a big tv and it looked great.
    Avengers ditto.
    Horror Express blu ray looks great.
    On the other hand the dvd Abominable Dr Phibes and sequel look damn good too on the same big tv.
    The worst image quality was running the laser disc star wars on it--thanks for nothing George.

12. Sgt Sunshine

Sgt Sunshine is almost famous

Yes there are Blu-ray recorders available but they are very pricey (I expect the price will drop eventually). I don't record anything from the TV, I just see what I can pick up from Amazon, or E-bay etc......I like Jane Fonda too...I saw her recently in her segment of the film "Spirits of the Dead" directed by Roger Vadim. I'm looking forward to seeing her again in her later film "They shoot horses, Don't they?"....
    Cheers
    Sgt S

13. christats

christats look at the muck in here.

I have a Blu Ray Player and was thinking of getting a Blu Ray recorder with built in Freeview HD. They were fairly easy to get for around £300 a couple of years ago but they haven't caught on. Shops apart from Richer Sounds seem to be dropping them.
    There isn't enough for me to record to justify buying one. Freeview PVR's with hard Disk drives seem to be favoured now.

Last time I looked Blu recordable discs were £3 or £4 each. A bit more than 25p for a reasonable DVD-r.

As for buying DVD still, it depends on the price difference and how much I like the film or TV program. Blu is now my default if it and DVD are available, but I haven't become an HD snob yet.

Edit....... I can only find 1 blu ray recorder after looking, a Panasonic, nearly £400 and on Amazon the blank disks have tumbled in price. Pack of 25 for around £20. This way of recording looks to be dying out.

14. TheRoadWarrior

TheRoadWarrior Well-Known Member

Blu Ray discs, I noticed were 5 for £30, at HMV, t'other day, they've certainly come down a bit, l don't tend to look very often, not owning the mother-unit. Isn't it always the way, begin expensive, 2nd mortgage to buy level expensive, and then tumble down and down to a fair old price?

15. Paul Moran

Paul Moran Registered User

I buy mine (Verbatim 16x DVD-R) in 100 spindle packs, usually from Amazon. My most recent buy was 2 packs @ £19.29/pack in July, so it was only 19.3p per disc. I don't plan to move to blu recordable. I don't have pay TV, so my potential sources are just a few channels on Freeview HD. I seem to remember a fuss about the broadcasters putting a spoiler signal on HD broadcasts, to prevent us from using this expensive equipment to make good HD copies - or has that all gone away now?

16. mrb

mrb Slave Trader

I record programmes onto C90 audio cassettes and just imagine the pictures.

17. Love butcher

Love butcher New Member

:)

18. Mallo

Mallo Member

BluRay has been on the market now for some time (it's June 2014 as I type), and although I'm completely sold on high definition, I'm not at all sold on BluRay discs themselves. I think the problem is Sony, who own the patent. Their licensing fees, and restrictions on the format, are such that they have created a bit of malformed market for collectors. The price of BluRay players and BluRay software won't really drop until Sony reduce what they charge for licensing. Sony have been greedy, and far too restrictive with the format, to really allow it to take off. As a collector I look at the scene and think: "I want to buy these, but I'm not going to buy a player for every region," or "I'm only going to buy my absolute favourites because I already have this - twice - on DVD". I might only re-buy my absolute favourites on BluRay if I know for sure it's a corking transfer (like Arrow's Dawn of the Dead), or contains extras I don't already have (like MGM's Invasion of the Body Snatchers). That said: I do like high def and do want to see certain films upgraded. In terms of newer films the benefits are obvious.

I was wondering whether Nucleus films was planning a BluRay release of Video Nasties 2, or was sticking to a standard definition release only.

19. MarcMorris

MarcMorris Head Honcho Staff Member

We only made the two documentaries in HD, and even then all the archive footage is standard def, so would it be worth it?

20. Mallo

Mallo Member

Probably not, up-scaling the standard def. footage would take too much time, or cost too much to get someone else to do.

Have you seen "Class of '92"? I was quite impressed by what they did with old TV footage in that. Great film too. That superb 2010 documentary about Ayrton Senna had quite a bit of up-scaled retro footage in that as well.

Economically it probably wouldn't have been worth it in the case of your documentary. Did you shoot any of the interview footage in high def.?