Derek Ford

Discussion in 'British Cinema' started by noglea, Jun 13, 2009.

1. noglea

noglea Registered User

I was looked up Derek Ford on the BBFC site and along with the usual suspects was 'Perverse Anaysis 3'. It is dated 1994. The year before he died so it is possibe he directed it. However I have not head it previously in connection with him so I typed the title into imdb and they don't appear to have it (or the first two). Is this a lost Ford film or just something directed by someone of the same name?

2. gavcrimson

gavcrimson Registered User

Its a video re-titling of the 1978 Italian/British co-production Erotic Fantasies a.k.a. Symphony of Love that Ford is credited as directing along with Luigi Batzella.

3. noglea

noglea Registered User

Cheers for answering that Gav.

I read yesterday that Derek Ford's 'Secret Rites' is going to be screened at the BFI Southbank on Halloween. I may well get a ticket.

4. Timmy Lea

Timmy Lea Member

I'm DEFINITELY going to that!! One I've never seen, and I'll be in town that week anyway.

5. Simon Sheridan

Simon Sheridan writer + broadcaster

Derek Ford's long-unseen Secret Rites is, indeed, going to screened at the BFI Southbank. Unseen since the early 1970s, when it was taken out of UK distribution, it is often confused with Malcolm Leigh's Legend of the Witches (1971), which also features a cameo from 'king of the witches', the late Alex Sanders.

Expect lots of naked women dancing around a bonfire in Cornwall...

6. Timmy Lea

Timmy Lea Member

I've been waiting to see this long-lost film for ages, so expect me there. I love anything released between 1967 and 1975 that deals with witchcraft, particulalrly if there's some cod-psychedelia involved, and Alex Sanders himself, father of 'Alexandrian' (as opposed to 'Gardnerian') magic, is a fascinating character. He even made an album, which Audio Archives were planning to reissue on CD this decade, but I don't know if anything ever came of it. There are also several great pulp paperbacks on the subject of the occult from around this time- some fact, some fiction- which I have a few of and Marc seems to have most of the rest of (lucky sod, but then again, he's been collecting longer than me)

Actually, I just mentioned this screening on the phone to Marc, and we talked about how it might be a good place to plug GHOST STORY, which hopefully gets released that day- but how also the BFI/NFT might possibly take a dim view of such things. A shame, as there'll be about an eighth of our target audience there gathered together in one theatre!!

7. noglea

noglea Registered User

I enjoyed watching 'Secret Rites' last night. I didn't expect to ever be sitting in a cinema and see the words 'Directed by Derek Ford' on the screen. I wonder if this will ever find itself onto DVD? The programme notes contained a lot more information than is on imdb so I will try and update that when I get time.

8. Timmy Lea

Timmy Lea Member

I really enjoyed it too. Only caught the end of the supporting feature OUT OF STEP, due to traffic gayness in the Hackney Road area, and was then arsed about by a typically pretentious wine-drinking member of the venue staff who made me sit at the back so as not to disturb anyone by looking for the friend I had come to meet (there were only about 30 of us, and we'd all come to see a sexploitation documentary, so I think we're disturbed enough, thankyou!!) but I did manage to see the entirety of SECRET RITES itself (a lifelong ambition fulfilled), and I wasn't disappointed- although I couldn't get over how short it was.

I found it very tastefully shot for a Ford picture, even if the 'typical girl' training to be a witch, upon whom the documentary focuses, was clearly an actress specially hand-picked for the occasion. There's no way ANYONE involved in ritual magick (trust me, I've met them, although I'm not a practitioner myself aside from the odd sigil) would be that good-looking: most women of that particular calling tend to make Andrea Dworkin look almost human by comparison, or are at least in need of introduction to a damn good razor. Sanders, regardless of what several people have claimed about him, and in spite of his almost monotone half-Scouse half-Manc accent, came across as a very personable, sincere man- although I did chuckle somewhat when it was revealed that only he was allowed to watch the handfasted couple performing their conjoining rites, whilst wearing a large animal head. I used to run a club in New Cross where people did that...

Expect full review sometime soon, also to be possibly published in Shindig! And Noglea, I wish I'd have known you were going. You could have made yourself known to us- then we could have had a Lea brothers' reunion drinkage afterwards...

9. noglea

noglea Registered User

'A Promise of Bed' a.k.a. 'This, That and the Other' has been passed as a 15 certificate with a running time of 78 mins 17 seconds and will be released with the latter title on 22nd February 2010 apparently.

10. gavcrimson

The Old Pre-Cert Cover of this “Family ‘X’ Comedy”

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. Timmy Lea

Timmy Lea Member

Wossie was a shrewd fella back then, before he dumbed down and started hanging out with the likes of Russell Brand. When it came to horror, trash and exploitation, he sure knew his stuff- part of the reason, alongside my Mum's love of Vincent Price, why I got into it to begin with. Maybe he's the one person in the world that has an extant copy....

12. noglea

noglea Registered User

Attack of the Killer Computers (or Urge to Kill as imdb call it) would make a good release for the BFI Flipside label imho. Or maybe they could show it as one of their monthly screenings.

13. Mark Y

Mark Y ageing exploitation fan

Sounds like my kind of movie! :)

14. Rollo Yates

Rollo Yates New Member

Some choice screens there, gav. Someone really must rescue this one from obscurity and preserve it on the digital format for an uncaring world.

15. christats

christats look at the muck in here.

Urge to Kill needs an official DVD release pronto.There's been a lack of loony,tacky films recently.

16. WillHay

WillHay Member

That looks like a must buy if it ever comes out!

What is the book on 80s horror movies? Sounds interesting.

17. WillHay

WillHay Member

I recently watched "Diversions". What a crazy film!

18. gavcrimson

The Ford brothers’ script for Corruption is currently on sale at this site, very pricy though, I doubt either Ford got paid a fraction of this for writing the script in the first place. The site also has up for sale the scripts for other Robert Hartford Davis films: The Yellow Teddybears, The Smashing Bird I Used to Know and an unproduced Ford script called Girl. Sadly with the Fords and Robert Hartford Davis now gone I doubt we’ll ever know why the message "THE DRIVER OF THIS CAR IS A DRUNKEN FOREIGNER." was taped to the Corruption script.

http://www.royalbooks.com/pages/boo...enplay-director-robert-hartford-davis-working

19. gavcrimson

Just a quick heads up that Channel 5 is screening HELL BOATS (1970) this Saturday afternoon (5.15pm-7.05pm), a WW2 actioner with a script by Donald and Derek Ford, seemingly one of the last scripts they wrote together before Donald left the film business and Derek embarked on a sexploitation career. The film itself is passable in an afternoon TV manner; the emphasis on sailors and shirtless men running round with machine guns suggesting that Donald did most of the writing on this one.

20. noglea

noglea Registered User

Derek Ford was mentioned at an event I was at earlier this evening. It was an evening with Norman J. Warren at the cinema museum. I have not heard this mentioned before but apparently he was offered The Wife Swappers to direct but turned it down so Derek Ford directed it instead.