UK: Craze (Nucleus Films)

Discussion in 'UK News - DVD + Blu-ray' started by Someone Weird, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Someone Weird

Someone Weird An Odious Little Runt

CRAZE starring Jack Palance is getting a UK DVD release 3/3/16 from Nucleus Films.

Not seen it myself but judging from the trailer it looks good fun.

Freddie Francis (Tales From The Crypt, Torture Garden) apparently didn't care much for this, his 1974 assignment for the Kandel and Cohen production house even going so far as to describe it as "worse than Trog" We at Nucleus, however, disagree: Craze is a slice of prime British horror sleaze, ripe for rediscovery. It's got everything! It's got Jack Palance (Dracula, Torture Garden, Hawk The Slayer) pretending to be English, exclaiming Jeezus Christ Almighty! and picking up dolly birds in funky psychedelic nightspots! It's got Martin Potter (Goodbye Gemini, Satan's Slave, Cruel Passion) as his paranoid, hard-drinking gay business partner, Julie Ege (Creatures the World Forgot, Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires) and Kathleen Byron (Twins of Evil) as ritual victims, and Michael Jayston (Thriller, Quiller, Tales that Witness Madness) Percy Herbert (The Fiend, Black Snake) and David Warbeck (The Beyond, The Black Cat) as a trio of grumpy flatfoot coppers! It's got Suzy Kendall (Up The Junction, Bird with the Crystal Plumage, Torso) as a curly-wigged hooker with a jaw-dropping sex-aid collection, and Trevor Howard, Diana Dors, Hugh Griffith and Edith Evans (you KNOW who they are), slumming it in late-career cameos! Not convinced? How about an homage to Peeping Tom (though we're not telling you where, so you have to buy it) an occult coven in purple robes chanting "armuneminuum" and a series of ghastly, grisly, gory, gruesome deaths? Or, best of all, how about Chuko, the ugliest, most googly-eyed fetish idol ever seen on-screen? Seriously, this doll makes both Hammer's Charlie Boy and the Zuni from Trilogy Of Terror look handsome by comparison. Let him into your life (even better, let this beautifully re-mastered disc into your player) and the rewards are plenty - but they don't come cheap. As the song says, "it's no sacri-fi-i-iiiice..."

UK DVD Premiere! Uncut Version!

Featurette with Johnathan Rigby
    Theatrical Trailer
    Freddie Francis Trailer Reel
    1.66:1 / 16x9
    Mono 2.0
    English Hard of Hearing subtitles.

DVD: amazon.co.uk

[​IMG]

2. mr sinn

mr sinn Well-Known Member

Love Jack Palance, not seen this so will certainly be checking it out.

3. Someone Weird

Someone Weird An Odious Little Runt

Watched this a couple of weeks back. Good fun film and highly recommended. Nice trailer reel of Freddie Francis directed pictures too as an extra. Picked up PLAYGIRLS AND THE VAMPIRE at the same time. Not (re)watched it yet but checked the disc etc. Inclusion of the 8mm version (amongst other things) makes this a worthy upgrade from the image release.

4. tobiaswragg

tobiaswragg The 'Head' Butcher

I haven't got the DVD myself yet, but it is a beauty. I've watched my tape (recorded from ITV in about 1990) loads of times. As you say, good fun.

5. MarcMorris

MarcMorris Head Honcho Staff Member

Thanks for the support Mr Someone Weird :)

6. tobiaswragg

Now, now, Sir. It's in my shopping basket and a young lady (ahem) friend of mine is desperate to purchase 50 Shades of Erotica after I told her about it. She watched the trailer and loved it! So a new Nucleus disciple.

7. tobiaswragg

David Flint asked me to review it for his new magazine The Reprobate, so I've ordered it, although I was going to anyway, of course.

8. tobiaswragg

My review can be read here

9. FilmGeek

FilmGeek New Member

Unintentionally funny film that wastes an excellent cast and director Freddie Francis.:(

Great finale when.................

Det. Wall,comes on the scene to put the cuffs on the now crazed and hysterical Mottram. Mottram didn't go, or give up, willingly and it had to take a full load of lead from Det. Wall's revolver to finally put the homicidal madman down.:)

10. tobiaswragg

Yeah, true enough. Francis certainly wasn't enthusiastic about it. Great fun, though, I reckon, and, therefore, more welcome in my DVD player than a lot of 'good' films. So, come on, Geek, get yer hands in yer pockets!

11. tobiaswragg

Oh, someone's deleted their comments. No surprise there.

12. MarcMorris

MarcMorris Head Honcho Staff Member

Who is FilmGeek I wonder?

tobiaswragg likes this.
  13. FilmGeek

FilmGeek New Member

You deleted your posts regarding a facebook connection James over on your profile/message :).....what a grass you are......... pathetic

14. tobiaswragg

What's that got to do with Craze?

15. tobiaswragg

Thanks for the compliment. I'm happy to do it.

16. FilmGeek

FilmGeek New Member

You will not be happy later :D

17. mrb

mrb Slave Trader

it's almost like the old days!

18. tobiaswragg

Yeah, with that bloody nuisance!