Alien 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction + Fantasy' started by drterror666, Feb 19, 2015.

1. drterror666

drterror666 Too Much... for One Movie!

Well, it looks like Neill Blomkamp, the director of District 9, Elysium and the forthcoming CHAPPiE, is going to be drafting a new script with Ridley Scott for and directing Alien 5. I feel that he's definitely the right man for the job. I'm hoping they take the story and try to fit it in with the whole Prometheus thing.

The rumour is that Sigourney Weaver is going to reprise her role of Ripley due to whats in some of the pre-production art, but who knows anything about that.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  2. TheRoadWarrior

TheRoadWarrior Well-Known Member

-interesting how the flame keeps going... it's such a good and dark story.

JJ Abrahms is out with his new Star Wars by the end of the year. I read a review that suggested that they may well not fluff it up thsi time.

3. Kel E

Kel E Member

Been debating whether I'll venture out to a theater for Star Wars. Guess it will depend on the next trailer and reliable reviews. Cant say I have any hopes for either film series. Dont like either of these folk (looks as though Blomkamp's run of non franchise movies may be over and he has to join the rest of the gang in doing remakes and sequels).

Abrams cant do worse than Lucas though. That doesnt seem possible. I hope.

Back to older movies for me...

4. TheRoadWarrior

Hi Kel,
    Yes, it's unliklely to be worse (is that possible even?) than Lucas's latest but what will it be, what is possible in 2015.... and like you, wonder if I shall be trying to see it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  5. drterror666

I've recently read that the fifth Alien film will take place after Aliens. Whether they're going to disregard continuity or take the series in a separate direction is unknown.

6. TheRoadWarrior

I never liked where they went after Aliens, it was a kill off the cast cop out and David Fincher, too, a bit of a maverick but it broke with the whole atmosphere of these fims, I also feel if they'd stayed on track there'd be a different kind of 5 pack dvd/blu-ray on the shelves now as the franchise could have run on into some magnificent stories.

7. drterror666

Originally, Alien 3 was going to be about a corporate war that leads to an alien outbreak; I think this was a William Gibson script. Then, they had a script about a world still in medieval times where Ripley crash lands. It was this that morphed into the Alien 3 we know today. Personally, I thought the thing about battling xenomorphs without any proper weapons was a good idea. I've learnt to like Alien 3, but it's not my favourite. I'm possibly one of the only people that loved the Euro feel of Alien: Resurrection.

8. TheRoadWarrior

I can't recall if I've seen Alien Resurrection or not?

Yeah, I think you're probably right about Alien3, if its viewed on its own merits, it was just the feel of the times I remember that a larger blockbuster was the next step.
    :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  9. drterror666

I suppose it did feel that Alien 3 was a bit scaled down, but that's part of its attraction, along with the British cast. The Weaver / Dance sex scene still makes me cringe, though. Would she really have done that? Was that alien growing inside her affecting her hormones or something?

10. TheRoadWarrior

I saw it at the cinema Doc and my memory is fading of it, but it's on TV quite often and so may catch up with it, as a Fincheresque outing. I recall it has thet fella who has a strong northern accent in it, one of the convicts, that threw me a bit, he's quite distinct from British TV drama.

11. drterror666

That bloke with the strong northern accent is none other than the late Brian Glover. He used to do the Tetley Tea adverts and you may remember him from An American Werewolf in London, when the two backpackers go in the Slaughtered Lamb pub. I saw Alien 3 at the cinema as well, when it came out. The first few minutes were some of the most disappointing ever as Newt and Hicks bought the farm. I really didn't expect that, but maybe that was the point.

12. TheRoadWarrior

Yes, I wasn't been insulting there, just couldn't get the name in my head earlier. That's right, I recall now. Brian Glover, and I remember the Tetley Tea adverts and of course AWIL, that may have caused some association problems for me. :) I didn't know he'd passed. What a shame, he was a very distinctive personality.

Yes, it was a shock with Newt and Hicks. Hicks was set up to really run things after the second film.

13. drterror666

I didn't think you were being insulting :)

14. TheRoadWarrior

Ahh, no, I didn't think you were but I was just making sure, ha ha, I have this thing you see, you know how people malign celebs all over the web, I'm careful not to, some of these actors have given us a a lot of entertainment, but because this place (CMF) can feel very familiar with just the 10 or so of us here it often feels like a friendly little club but you still have to remember it's the web.

And so even with actors and celebs that I'm not too keen on, I don't say too much or anything at all, and certainly not anything a bit nasty, not that I talk like that anyway of course?

Perhaps they are fair game. I don't know?

Just a little tic of mine.It's probably a bit OTT................but yes, Brian Glover was in a great deal of TV wasn't he? I think that meant that when he appeared in Alien3 he brought a lot of that vibe and memory with him for me, and so after Hicks and Newt had been removed, I really had to do a second take to get used to what Fincher was up to.

If judged as a stand-alone film I'm sure is is very worthy.

It's fuinny how you remember the vibe of the times, when it was released, the atmosphere was full of expectation for Alien3, I think a lot of that expectation was coming from a VHS audience, who'd maybe even missed Alien at the cinema but had got to really like these films and characters on VHS/TV.

15. drterror666

I remember now that the thing I hated about Alien 3 was the fact there was an egg laid in the first place. How did the Alien Queen do that? Did I miss something?

16. TheRoadWarrior

I do recall that, now.... let me think, it was either a conceit, or something about Newt being compromised or similar, during that time she was away... that sort of thing rings bells but whether that was just the chat around the film, sort of the way urban myth works, never sure...

Maybe Fincher just hoped we'd forget, coveniently.

17. Kel E

Kel E Member

I watched Alien 3 again (theatrical version) a while ago. Such a bleak film--a mess really. Why was the most annoying prisoner on the colony the sole survivor?
    They really seemed to miss the ball with it--audience expectations. I am surprised they made it as they did. I read Michael Biehn charged them the same amount to use his likeness (digitally distorted) for a shot that he got paid for Aliens. I am in the Alien 1 camp--I saw Aliens twice but I prefer the first. No Giger, no movie IMO.
    Alien 4 is better than 3 I think, and I plan to watch it again sometime-the mutant at the end is rather freaky-and the fact that the only survivors are a human-alien genetic hybrid, an android, a cripple, and a psychopath.

18. drterror666

I love Alien because it truly is the old, dark house in space; it's so Gothic in its remoteness and strangeness. There's even a creepy android with a secret! Aliens does it for me on a purely sci-fi / action level; they couldn't do Alien again, so Cameron had to bring the guns out for the second one. I can watch it over and over again, especially the director's cut. Alien 3 is a difficult one and I know there were a lot of problems getting it out in terms of script writes and editing the final film; I still haven't seen the director's cut, but it's supposed to be superior to the theatrical cut. As I've said, I like Alien: Resurrection because it has that crazy Euro feel about it and I like what they did with Ripley's character, turning her into the one person who can take out the very xenomorphs she was so scared of.

19. mrb

mrb Slave Trader

Ripley is proper butch innit.

drterror666 likes this.
  20. drterror666

Yes, mrb, Ripley is proper butch, and she's probably got a vaginal grip that could crush lead pipes! :D